Ibuprofen: Toxic for Dogs and Cats
Ibuprofen may be great for our aches and pains, but it could be fatal for our furry family members. Even in very small doses, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (brand names like Advil, Motrin, and Pamprin) can be fatal for dogs and cats.
In his Pet Insurance Guide podcast, Dr. Doug Kenney, a veterinarian in Memphis, Tennessee, interviewed Dee Dee Davis, who almost lost her dear Golden Doodle, Bentley, after he got into a bottle of Ibuprofen. Fortunately, Dee Dee rushed him to the emergency vet before it was too late.
If it weren’t for Healthy Paws Pet Insurance, Dee Dee could’ve easily paid thousands of dollars for the two-day hospital stay that helped Bentley get back up on his paws. After spending over $4,000 on vet bills for her previous dog, Dee Dee learned the hard way that pet insurance is a vital part of caring for her furry loved ones. She chose Healthy Paws to protect Bentley and her two kittens because, when she spoke with Customer Care, she could hear loud and clear how much we genuinely care about pets and pet parents.
To prevent your four-pawed family member from suffering from ibuprofen poisoning, keep your medicine well out of paws’ reach. Call your vet or Pet Poison Helpline immediately if you notice any of the following signs of ibuprofen poisoning:
- Bloody feces
- Blood in vomit
- Lack of appetite
- Weight loss
- Gastric (stomach) ulcers and perforation
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Decreased or lack of urine
- Lack of coordination
Hear more about Bentley’s story and all the reasons why Dee Dee chose Healthy Paws.