No, dogs should not be fed white chocolate.
Compared to milk or dark chocolate, white chocolate is not nearly as toxic to dogs. Theobromine—the toxic component in chocolate—can be found in white chocolate, however the amount is so low your dog would have to eat a tremendous amount of white chocolate in order to have any symptoms that mirror chocolate’s toxicity, which includes vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even heart attack, among other signs.
It’s important to note that white chocolate is not so harmless, though. We recommend not feeding your dog candy or sweets at all.
- It is high in fat, which can cause similar symptoms to chocolate poisoning (like vomiting and diarrhea) and the high-fat content puts your dog at risk for pancreatitis.
- It is high in sugar, which can lead to health problems including diabetes, weight gain, urinary tract infections, and more.
- So while he or she isn’t necessarily in danger of theobromine poisoning, you should call your vet if your dog eats white chocolate in case of other possible reactions. Your vet may induce vomiting and/or administer an IV.
In short, don’t share any type of chocolate with your dog. For a sweet treat that’s safe for pups to eat, give them some apple slices instead.
Curious about what is okay (and not so okay) for your dog to munch on? Check out our other articles on what human foods are safe for dogs.