Get an instant quote now and take the first step to protect your furry best friend.

» See My Rates

Retrieve Saved Quote

Pet Care. Pet Training. Pet Stories.
Refer a Friend & We'll Donate $25 Refer a Friend Now!
Pet Care. Pet Training. Pet Stories.
Refer a Friend & We'll Donate $25 Refer a Friend Now!


Can Dogs Eat Peanuts?

12/24/2018 by Colleen Williams
December 24th, 2018 by Colleen Williams
        

dan dogs eat peanuts

Yes, peanuts are safe, but only if they are roasted or raw and unsalted. No extra seasonings, please, and don’t feed pups the shell!

Benefits

Peanuts are loaded with protein, vitamin B-6, vitamin E, niacin, and healthy fats. However, the drawbacks of peanuts come with the human-variety: any seasoned peanuts, including salt, are not great for your dog.

Hazards

Because they do contain fat, too many peanuts can cause digestive upset or even pancreatitis, should your dog eat a massive amount in one sitting. If these happen to also be salted peanuts, your dog is at risk for salt poisoning, which symptoms may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Swelling or fluid accumulation
  • Excessive thirst and urination
  • Tremors & seizures

New flavors of peanuts on the shelf are extremely snackable for humans: chipotle, chili lime, cinnamon sugar, wasabi, and more. Err on the side of caution and don’t feed your dog these new varieties, and avoid any peanuts seasoned with excess salt, sugar, xylitol, garlic, onions, or spices. Remember, dogs do not like spicy, hot foods.

Shells are off-limits as well – they pose a choking hazard and while they’re not toxic, they can be rough going out.

What About Peanut Butter?

A classic and prized pup snack, peanut butter is safe for dogs if it is raw, unsalted, and unsweetened. Do not give your dog sugar-free varieties that include xylitol, ingesting it can be fatal. Xylitol is known to shut down internal organs, cause seizures and lead to death. Some symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, shaking, weakness and difficulty walking, usually occurring 15-30 minutes after consumption. If you notice these signs, consult the Pet Poison Helpline immediately and get your pup to the emergency vet.

Curious about what is okay (and not so okay) for your dog to munch on? Check out our other articles on what human foods are safe for dogs.






CLOSE ×