COVID-19 Resource List for Pet Parents
Quarantining with a pet? Here’s a list of resources for pet parents. Be sure to bookmark this page as we’ll update it frequently.
COVID-19 and pets: FAQ for owners
- Can my dog get sick from COVID-19?
- Can my cat get sick from COVID-19?
- Can pets spread COVID-19 from one person to another?
- What about the tiger and cat that were diagnosed with COVID-19?
Pet parent resources
- What You Can Feed Your Dog If You Run Out of Dog Food
- How to Care For Your Pet While Quarantined
- 4 Tips to Make Working From Home With Dogs Easier
- Are Veterinarians and Pet Supply Stores Deemed ‘Essential’ During Coronavirus?
- How to Get Pet Food Delivered During Quarantine
- Hand Sanitizer and Pets: What to Know
- How Dogs’ Behaviors are Affected by COVID-19
Speak with a veterinarian
For non-emergency situations with your pet, you may remotely seek a veterinarian’s advice to determine whether or not your pet needs in-person veterinary care. Because they know your pet’s history, the first place you should start is calling your local veterinarian. However, if they are unavailable or unable to provide the answers you need, there are a number of online TeleVets* that you can speak with.
- TelePAWS – $20/month subscription or $50 one-time appointment. Video conferencing with a veterinarian.
- MyPetDoc – $19.99 per session. Text messages and phone calls.
- PetCoach – Free. Include up to 3 photos with your message.
- PetHospice (for hospice and end of life care)
- Lap of Love (for hospice and end of life care)
Your regular veterinary hospital may also provide telehealth services. Ask them!
*Please note that expenses incurred for TeleVet services are not eligible for coverage under the Healthy Paws plan.
Homemade pet treat recipes
With the extra time at home, now is a great time to get crafty in the kitchen and try your hand at one of these homemade pet treat recipes.
- Three-Ingredient Homemade Dog Treats
- Peanut Butter Dog Treat Recipes
- Yummy Treats Any Pet Would Love
- Easy Cat Treat Recipes
- Pie Recipe for Dogs
- Apple Dog Treat Recipes
- What Human Foods Are Safe to Share With Pets?Human Foods Dogs Can and Can Not Eat (Comprehensive List)
Entertaining your pet
With less social interaction from dog play dates, walks with friends, and having company visit your home, your pet may need some other type of stimulation. Here’s a little inspiration for how to entertain your pet.
- How to Entertain Your Dog Indoors
- How to Entertain Your Pet While Quarantined
- How to Keep Your Pet Busy While Working from Home
- 6 Reasons Your Dog Wants a Walk – Be sure to maintain a regular exercise schedule for your pet to prevent weight gain
The Healthy Paws Foundation is helping rescues
To nominate an organization in need, visit our Facebook page or send an email to HelpPets@healthypaws.com
For the humans in the household, check out this list of free resources and things to do while quarantined.
The Resource List is for informational purposes only and does not constitute or imply an endorsement, recommendation, or favoring of any provider by Healthy Paws of any kind.