How to Get Pet Food Delivered During Quarantine
If you are quarantined or following shelter-in-place directives and are running out of pet food, you have many options to have it delivered.
If you are able to get out or have someone who can pick-up for you, pet food supply stores are considered essential businesses and so most are still open, while taking precautions such as delivering supplies to people waiting in cars or limiting the number of people in stores.
With all the delivery options, it’s advised to order well before you run out of pet food. Most sites say they are taking longer than normal to deliver.
Here are some options for dog food delivery:
- If you have a local pet store you like, see if they offer delivery and support them with your dollars. Keep in mind that large chain stores are likely to weather this crisis, while small businesses are suffering and may not survive without help now.
- Companies that sell fresh or raw pet food already deliver their products as their usual practice. They include Ollie, NomNomNow, Pet Plate, and others listed here.
- Use Instacart to shop from grocery stores online. Instacart is kind of like an Uber for grocery delivery. You pick out what you want online through their website, they send a personal shopper to fulfill and deliver your order to you the same day. The service charges about $6 per order or $100 a year subscription and it’s recommended that you tip your shopper at least 20 percent of the overall order.
- Chewy – free shipping over $49. No estimate given on shipping time. The site says due to high demand, current delivery times are running considerably longer than usual on food and supplies.
- Amazon – free delivery with orders over $25 or with Amazon Prime membership. Amazon announced in mid-March that it would be prioritizing essential items, and it includes pet food in that category. It still may take longer than the normal 1-2 day delivery because of the volume of people ordering online.
- Petco – free 1-2 day delivery for orders over $35. For smaller orders, shipping costs are determined by the total weight of the order and by the shipping method selected.
Homemade dog food and treats
If you are really in a jam or are just looking to expand your home-cooking repertoire, you can make your own dog food or homemade pet treats with ingredients you may have on hand. Check out what ingredients a veterinarian advises in this blog post.