Get an instant quote now and take the first step to protect your furry best friend.

» See My Rates

Retrieve Saved Quote

Pet Care. Pet Training. Pet Stories.
Refer a Friend & We'll Donate $25 Refer a Friend Now!
Pet Care. Pet Training. Pet Stories.
Refer a Friend & We'll Donate $25 Refer a Friend Now!

Can Dogs Eat Currants?

09/23/2019 by Scritch
September 23rd, 2019 by Scritch

can dogs eat currants

The quick answer: No, dogs should never eat currants because they are toxic to dogs.

Currants can be black, red, or white, and are often dried and used in baked goods and trail mix. These tart berries are also used in making jams, liqueurs, and syrups. True currants grow on bushes, but some types of currants – that are technically small grapes – grow on vines. Currants, grapes, raisins, sultanas, and gooseberries all belong to the same family of fruits.

Fruits and vegetables that are edible for humans might seem like a fresh and healthy snack to share with our pets. Unfortunately, dogs cannot eat all the same things that we can. Currants and all other fruits within the same family are absolutely off limits for dogs.


Just like grapes and raisins, currants are toxic to dogs and potentially cats as well. Consuming even small amounts of currants can cause serious damage, so it’s important to keep them well out of reach of your pets.


Though it’s not clearly understood how grapes, raisins, and currants are poisonous to dogs, there are a number of symptoms that can result from consuming them. Eating currants can cause:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Anorexia
  • Increased thirst
  • Weakness
  • Renal damage
  • If not caught, acute renal failure which may not develop until several days later

If left untreated, renal failure can be fatal. If you suspect your dog has eaten any of these fruits, even without the presence of symptoms, be sure to contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline as soon as possible.


It’s important to seek immediate veterinary care if your pet has ingested any number of currants. Treatment includes inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal to prevent toxins from being absorbed. Veterinarians may also use aggressive IV fluid therapy to flush out your dog’s system, medication to maintain kidney function, and ongoing monitoring.

This post brought to you by our friends at Scritch. Scritch combines everything you need to make pet parenting easy and fun in one online destination. Download the app (iOS & Android) or visit to find out more!


/** * exitIntent class based on bioEp: * * Purpose: * Open something (like a modal) after the user moves their mouse out of the window (to exit the page). * The code can create a cookie preventing the modal from re-opening multiple times. * * Options: * Usage: