Get an instant quote now and take the first step to protect your furry best friend.

» See My Rates

Retrieve Saved Quote

Pet Care. Pet Training. Pet Stories.
Refer a Friend & We'll Donate $25 Refer a Friend Now!
Pet Care. Pet Training. Pet Stories.
Refer a Friend & We'll Donate $25 Refer a Friend Now!


Dwayne Johnson Warns Pet Parents About Poisonous Mushrooms

09/29/2015 by Colleen Williams
September 29th, 2015 by Colleen Williams
        

Actor and athlete Dwayne Johnson – formerly known as “The Rock” – had some heartbreaking news this morning for fans, providing an update about his recently adopted French bulldog puppy, Brutus.

“Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed,” wrote Johnson in an Instagram post. “At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace.”

The cause of Brutus’ tragic death was mushroom toxicity, according to Johnson. Despite medical treatment at The Animal Medical Center at Cooper City, the fungi’s poison proved lethal.

“This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return,” the Instagram post continued. “I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members.”

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Brutus reportedly ate the mushroom while playing outdoors with his brother, Hobbs. Florida – where Johnson and Brutus reside – is home to a number of poisonous mushroom species. While we don’t know who culprit is in Brutus’ case, the false parasol is the most common cause of pet mushroom poisonings in Florida. “Mushrooms can grow very quickly, so it’s important to be observant,” said mycologist Matthew E. Smith, an assistant professor at University of Florida. “If you have a puppy or a dog, you should check the yard before you let the dog out, or supervise it when it goes outside.”

Inspect grassy areas regularly for mushrooms and other plants poisonous to dogs. Fungi also thrive in moist, shady places under trees or on stumps and logs. Keep your dog on a short leash when hiking in areas with mushrooms, and never give your pet any human foods containing even non-toxic mushrooms.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, lethargy, seizures, and walking “drunk.” The type of fungi involved determines the symptoms; neurotoxins will target the nervous system, while others damage the kidneys or liver. If you suspect your pet has eaten mushrooms, call your vet immediately. You may be advised to induce vomiting, but never give your pet any medication or emetic without a professional’s direction.

Emergency care for dog mushroom toxicity again depends on the substance ingested, which can be tricky to determine. Try and bring a sample of the item eaten to the vet with you; it can help determine the appropriate course of treatment for your pet. Rehydration with IV fluids will be done to counteract any dehydrating gastrointestinal symptoms and help prevent kidney damage. In many cases, all pet parents can do is wait and hope for the best.

“#RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime,” Johnson said, referring to an incident over Labor Day weekend where he rescued the pups from his pool. It’s never easy to lose a furry family member, especially a life lost so young. We’re very sorry for the Johnson family’s loss – rest in peace, Brutus.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's dog

Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We’ll always love you Brutus.. and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on






CLOSE ×